Heavy snowing can be dangerous in driving especially on Winter time. Drivers should be cautious all the more in this situation. We should know the safety rules for dealing with winter road emergencies.
Here are some tips on how to drive safely during winter.
- Avoid driving when you are fatigued. Get proper amount of rest before taking on winter weather tasks to reduce driving risks.
- Running a vehicle in an enclosed area, such as a garage, is a big NO NO.
- Make certain your tires are properly inflated.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- If possible, avoid using your parking brake in cold, rainy and snowy weather.
- Do not use cruise control when driving on any slippery surface (wet, ice, sand).
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use your seat belt every time you get into your vehicle.
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights – even the hood and roof- before driving
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Pay attention, don’t try to out drive the conditions. Remember the posted speed limits are for dry pavement.
- Know the current road conditions.